top of page

News & Information

What Happens When You Survive a Police Shooting in Baltimore?
January 18, 2015


The local newspaper ran a story based on the police reports, which said that the man, Keith Davis Jr, had robbed an unlicensed cab driver with a pistol and fled from the police to a garage, where he refused to give up his weapon and was shot at numerous times before being hit in the arm and the face and surrendering.


But unlike many victims of police shootings, Davis lived to provide his own account of what happened that morning – he says he didn’t have a gun and was misidentified as the suspect. He is now fighting criminal charges against him and has been in jail awaiting trial for more than 200 days, while nursing his gunshot wounds behind bars....


Davis’ trial has already been postponed three times, the third time because he was arranged on new charges. His lawyer, Latoya Francis-Williams, says the prosecutor’s office has failed to supply her with information she requested in discovery, such as statements from the shooting officers....


The police department filed a motion of protective order last week in an attempt to keep some of the information that Francis-Williams is requesting confidential.


“We are entitled to all statements,” Francis-Williams said. “We can’t let them off the hook. That’s bullshit.”


“It’s laughable if someone wasn’t sitting in jail or severely injured,” Francis-Williams said of what she called the “miscarriage of justice” with regard to her client.


Bail Denied For Baltimore High School Student Charged In Cafeteria Beating


September 18, 2015


BALTIMORE (WJZ)—A Baltimore high student charged with attempted murder for beating his classmate is being held without bail on Friday.


The parents of the 17-year-old attempted murder suspect refused to say anything leaving the courthouse where a judge denied bail for Frederick Douglass High School student Sean Johnson.


Cell phone video appears to show Johnson repeatedly punching and stomping on the head of fellow student and football teammate 16-year-old Darrien McDowell who had to be rushed to the hospital with severe injuries.


No one from the school system, from the principal all the way up to the superintendent of schools was willing to talk to WJZ about the incident or what’s being done in its wake.


The victim’s family hired attorneys with the law firm of A. Dwight Pettit, they call Frederick Douglass high a school with a history of violence.


“Our client did nothing to bring this on his self but that possibly there was notice to those persons in a position of power to do something about this before the attack occurred,” said Latoya Francis-Williams, victim’s attorney.

bottom of page